Dean is a graduate of Harvard Law School and the University of Mary Washington. Dean has extensive experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes complex commercial disputes in federal and state courts, including class actions and multidistrict litigation. He has also advocated for his clients’ interests in civil matters and criminal investigations with federal and foreign regulators. Dean’s experience encompasses a wide range of industries, including financial services, telecommunications, information technology, steel, and beverages.
Prior to joining Chipman Glasser, Dean practiced as a litigation associate in the Washington, D.C. office of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, worked as a Dewey & LeBoeuf Community Service Fellow in the Legal Clinic of Bread for the City, a Washington D.C.-based non-profit organization, and served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Turkmenistan.
Dean is admitted to practice in New York and the District of Columbia. Dean’s practice in Colorado is temporarily authorized pending admission under C.R.C.P. 205.6.
- Represented a major financial institution in a multidistrict class action lawsuit alleging violations of the Sherman Act in connection with credit default swaps (U.S. District Court).
- Defended a steel manufacturer against claims that the manufacturer and its competitors had agreed to curtail production (U.S. District Court).
- Represented a client in connection with a criminal antitrust investigation by the United States Department of Justice.
- Represented a major financial institution civil class action litigation (U.S. District Court).
- Defended a European financial institution against claims that the institution had engaged in bid-rigging with respect to municipal derivatives (U.S. District Court, Massachusetts Superior Court).
- Represented a vertical search engine in relation to monopolization claims against Google, Inc. (10th District Court of Appeals, Ohio).
- Represented a major technology company in connection with acquisition of a cellular phone manufacturer.
- Represented a beverage manufacturer in connection with trade secret claims (various courts).
Articles and Publications
- Dean Shaffer, Colorado Supreme Court Conforms Pleading Standard to Federal Practices, June 27, 2016, Chipman Glasser Legal Blog, available at http://chipmanglasser.com/blog/2016/6/27/colorado-supreme-court-conforms-pleading-standard-to-federal.html.
- Joseph Bial, Rocky Lee, Charles F. (Rick) Rule, and Dean Shaffer, New York Court Affirms Jury Verdict against Chinese Manufacturers of Vitamin C, Awards Attorneys’ Fees to Plaintiffs, Cadwalader Clients & Friends Memo, January 3, 2015.
- Dorothy Auth, Andrew Forman, Christopher Hughes, Charles F. (Rick) Rule, and Dean Shaffer, Supreme Court Decision Compels Brand-Name and Generic Drug Manufacturers Alike to Rethink Hatch-Waxman Litigation Strategies, Cadwalader Clients & Friends Memo, June 18, 2013.
- Andrew Forman, Brian McGovern, Charles F. (Rick) Rule, and Dean Shaffer, Supreme Court Rules Phoebe Putney’s Acquisition is Not Immune Under the State-Action Doctrine, Cadwalader Clients & Friends Memo, February 21, 2013.
- Andrew Forman, Brian McGovern, Charles F. (Rick) Rule, and Dean Shaffer, Recent Actions by Supreme Court and U.S. Antitrust Authorities Illustrate Continued Focus on Antitrust Issues in the Health Care Sector, Cadwalader Clients & Friends Memo, December 12, 2012.
Prior Professional Experience
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, LLP, Associate (2012-2016)
- Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP, Community Service Fellow (2011-2012)
- New York, 2012
- District of Columbia, 2013
- Practice in Colorado temporarily authorized pending admission under C.R.C.P. 205.6
- B.S., University of Mary Washington (Economics)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2011